No prep diastema closure approach
A no prep approach for restorative diastema closure after orthodontic treatment in patients with associated microdontia can involve direct techniques, with the modern composite resins, or indirect techniques, with composites, glass ceramics or the new hybrid materials, in an extremely conservative way.
The indirect techniques can be, nowadays, completely additive in various clinical situation, thanks to the gaps that have to be compensated. Most of the times a prosthetic preparation is, in fact, not necessary for those teeth that are very small and don’t have undercuts. The only peculiarity is the assessment of an insertion axis for the handwork which is, most of the times, buccal.
There are several advantages of not preparing the teeth, e.g. preservation of the present enamel, management and control on the emergence profile, reduction in time of the appointments.
In this scientific article a modern approach is proposed for the solution of microdontia and diastema of upper lateral incisors with a multidisciplinary approach.
Additive techniques are more and more revolutionizing the way of thinking, designing and executing indirect restorative treatments. Preservation of sound dental tissues and of tooth structure that hadn’t been previously restored has to be one of the main goals in treatment planning of esthetic and functional cases, when of course it is indicated.
Thank to. Dr. Renato Cocconi for the ortho treatment and to DT Vincenzo Musella for the lab work.
1. Magne P, Cascione D. Influence of post-etching cleaning and connecting porcelain on the microtensile bond strength of composite resin to feldspathic porcelain. J Prosthet Dent. 2006;96(5):354-61.
2. Magne P, Douglas WH. Porcelain veneers: dentin bonding optimization and biomimetic recovery of the crown. Int J Prosthodont. 1999;12(2):111-21.
3. Mangani F, Cerutti A, Putignano A, Bollero R, Madini L. Clinical approach to anterior adhesive restorations using resin composite veneers. Eur J Esthet Dent. 2007;2(2):188-209.
4. Coachman C, Gürel G, Calamita M, Morimoto S, Paolucci B, Sesma N. The influence of tooth color on preparation design for laminate veneers from a minimally invasive perspective: case report. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2014;34(4):453-9.
5. Gürel G, Sesma N, Calamita MA, Coachman C, Morimoto S. Influence of enamel preservation on failure rates of porcelain laminate veneers. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2013;33(1):31-9.
6. Gürel G. Porcelain laminate veneers: minimal tooth preparation by design. Dent Clin North Am. 2007;51(2):419-31.
7. Gürel G. Predictable, precise, and repeatable tooth preparation for porcelain laminate veneers. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent. 2003;15(1):17-24.