Fillings made fast and easy – Daily posterior bulk-fill restorations
Making fillings fast and easy isn’t a dream anymore, as restoration of posterior teeth with bulk composites makes it possible compared to the traditional incremental technique. Bulk material in posterior restoration is now a reality accepted by clinicians and by Literature, hence should be considered as an affordable and time-saving procedure. We present a clinical case of our daily practice with composites in which we used the bulk-fill to restore a posterior tooth. We mention the advantages of using this material in micro-invasive cavities.
An extra strong NiTi ring (MyRingClassico, Polydentia) was used to achieve a strong contact point.
Due to the cavity geometry (very narrow, but very deep) a bulk fill material would be an optimal choice.
Bulk fill composites are indicated in all type of posterior restorations, but bulk fill materials – as opposed to what one may think – are particularly advantageous for the mini-invasive restorations like the one of the presented clinical case. The limited accessibility of these micro-cavities makes the performance of the conventional stratification technique complicated. Instead, the bulk application (non incremental) offers technical advantages and is time-saving.
This more economical restorative approach, as compared to conventional resin composites, is very convenient in the current dentistry hard times.
DMG Ecosite Bulk Fill has a handling, optical properties and polishing similar to the conventional hybrid, making it easy to obtain similar results to those obtained with hybrid conventional composites, especially when we use a single body mass for posteriors, the most used approach in our daily practice with direct restorations.
2. Van Ende, J. De Munck, K.L. Van Landuyt, A. Poitevin, M. Peumans, B. Van Meerbeek. Bulk-filling of high C-factor posterior cavities: effect on adhesion to cavity bottom dentin. Dental Materials 29 (2013) 269-277.
2. Van Dijken JW, Pallesen U. 2016. Posterior bulk-filled resin composite restorations: a 5-year randomized controlled clinical study. J Dent. 51:29–35.
3. Hirata R, Kabbach W, de Andrade OS, Bonfante EA, Giannini M, Coelho PG. Bulk Fill Composites: An Anatomic Sculpting Technique. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2015 Nov;27(6):335-43.
4. Hirata R, Clozza E, Giannini M, Farrokhmanesh E, Janal M, Tovar N, Bonfante EA, Coelho PG. Shrinkage assessment of low shrinkage composites using micro-computed tomography. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2015 May;103(4):798-806.
5. Leprince JG, Palin WM, Vanacker J, Sabbagh J, Devaux J, Leloup G. Physico-mechanical characteristics of commercially available bulk-fill composites. J Dent. 2014 Aug;42(8):993-1000.