Combining implant and composite to achieve better proportions
Nowadays, as the world is influenced more and more by social media, patients and dentists are often obsessed by the hunt of the perfect smile. On the other side however, patients coming to our office all have different preferences, and sometimes the perfect smile is rather a distant dream. A good professional has a simple and predictable solution in every situation. Just as the use of adhesive procedures, dental implants are a scientifically well documented treatment option and a cornerstone of recent years dental evolution. This case is a combination of direct composite restorations, implant and bone augmentation treatment, all carried out by the author. Not all the initial disease or deviation from the ideal was corrected, only those that were mentioned by the patient or could affect the longevity of the results.
State of the art dental treatment is not about creating a perfect set of teeth every time, sometimes by placing restorations on teeth which wouldn’t need any. It is more important to carefully listen to the patients complaints and expectations, and have a good overview over treatment possibilities.
After finishing the treatment, the patient was happy with the result.
1. Hinds KF. Custom impression coping for an exact registration of the healed tissue in the esthetic implant restoration.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1997 Dec;17(6):584-91.
2. Vanini L. Light and color in anterior composite restorations. Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent. 1996 Sep;8(7):673-82; quiz 684.
3. Vanini L, Mangani FM.Determination and communication of color using the five color dimensions of teeth. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent. 2001 Jan-Feb;13(1):19-26; quiz 28.
4. Villarroel M, Fahl N, De Sousa AM, De Oliveira OB Jr. Direct esthetic restorations based on translucency and opacity of composite resins. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2011 Apr;23(2):73-87
5. Romanos G, Froum S, Hery C, Cho SC, Tarnow D.Survival rate of immediately vs delayed loaded implants: analysis of the current literature. J Oral Implantol. 2010;36(4):315-24
6. Mankoo T. Single-tooth implant restorations in the esthetic zone–contemporary concepts for optimization and maintenance of soft tissue esthetics in the replacement of failing teeth in compromised sites. Eur J Esthet Dent. 2007 Autumn;2(3):274-95.
7. Domínguez GC, Fernández DA, Calzavara D, Fábrega JG. Immediate placement and restoration of implants in the esthetic zone: Trimodal Approach therapeutic options. Int J Esthet Dent. 2015 Spring;10(1):100-21.
8. Paolone G, Orsini G, Manauta J, Devoto W, Putignano A. Composite shade guides and color matching.Int J Esthet Dent. 2014 Summer;9(2):164-82.